It is a misconception that braces are required only to straighten the teeth but that isn’t the only reason to get braces as they have several functions that correct multiple dental problems and cosmetic issues and clear aligners are considered as a good option to correct these problems.
What are clear aligners?
Clear aligners are the transparent trays used to straighten teeth like the braces. Aligners use gentle and constant force for moving the teeth in the required position without the help of metal wires & brackets and customized for each patient with the help of a digital scan.
This treatment involves an orthodontist and as the name says clear aligners they are virtually invisible and removable which are convenient and flexible as they are customized and opted by adults and teens.
How does it work?
Once the orthodontist examines the patient collects x-rays, photographs, and a digital scan of the teeth an orthodontist will arrive at the diagnosis and start working on to plan the treatment process which includes which teeth will move, where, when, and its order for the healthy positions of the teeth.
The aligners have a benefit as they are snuggly fitting and as time passes it becomes virtually a part of the body causing no speech problems with no restrictions on eating or drinking any foodstuff as they are removed before every meal. A person approximately needs 25-40 sets for getting the complete alignment.
Steps for the aligners fabrication process
- Customized treatment plan
- Preparation of the aligners
- Upkeeping of the aligners daily
- After treatment
Who all can opt for clear aligners?
People can opt for clear aligners who face the problem of crooked teeth, misaligned bite, narrow bites, teeth crowding, crossbite, gaps in between teeth, underbite, overbite, and bottom line. All these problems can be corrected with the help of clear aligners.
- Clear aligners are invisible and cannot be spotted easily.
- Clear aligners are removable and hence can be removed while brushing, flossing, and eating.
- Aligners are removable so it becomes easier to maintain routine oral health care.
- Aligners are comfortable and fit smoothly on the teeth.
- Aligners have to be worn 20 to 22 hrs a day to get effective results.
Tips for safeguarding aligners
- Always rinse them with water but not hot water as heat may cause the damage and misshape the plastic.
- Always brush & floss the teeth before wearing the aligners.
- Always remove aligners before eating.
- Always soak them in denture cleaner or retainer.
- Always clean the aligners with mild soap and not toothpaste.
For the teenagers, working professionals, and others who want to look their smile perfect but do not want to go with the traditional braces treatment can always for lingual braces as they are behind the teeth, unlike the traditional braces.
What are lingual braces?
Lingual braces are the part of the orthodontist treatment wherein these braces are placed behind the teeth rather than in the front making it almost invisible and allowing to straighten the teeth. Lingual braces hold the same components as traditional braces except for fixing them on the backside of the teeth.
Lingual braces are also customized like clear aligners by taking the impression of the teeth and sending it to the laboratory to create the customized brackets. This process lasts for almost 6 weeks allowing us to use a specific process for cementing the braces to the back surface of the teeth. The entire treatment lasts for up to 18 -36 months depending on the severity of the case.
How does it work?
These braces are placed facing the tongue and on the backside of the teeth. The brackets used with these braces are customized fitting into each patient’s mouth perfectly. The wires are connected with the brackets to serve the patient best.
The main purpose of the braces is to move the teeth so these braces will exert the pressure on the teeth allowing the teeth to stretch, compress and loosen. New bone will be formed around supporting its position known as bone remodeling. Once the teeth gets into a new position the braces will be removed. For certain cases, retainers are used during the first year for everything to get stabilized.
With lingual braces, the patients can fix the problem of crooked teeth, misaligned teeth, straightening, crowding, bite problems, and impacted teeth.
Steps for treatment of lingual braces
- Collecting the impressions of the teeth
- Fabricating the braces
- Cleaning & polishing
- Affixing the brackets
Who can opt for lingual braces?
Adults and teens can opt for this treatment but it is necessary to visit the orthodontist as they can evaluate the situation better for example the patients with deep overbite can have problems with the brackets which may pop-up more frequently.
- Lingual braces are almost invisible.
- Lingual braces help in correcting most of the bite problems.
- Lingual braces can be customized to increase comfort and efficiency.
Tips for maintaining lingual braces
- Always brush the teeth twice a day for a minimum of 2 minutes.
- Always use a soft-bristled toothbrush for brushing the teeth and the gumline.
- Floss daily to remove plaque and food debris between the teeth
- Rinse with the fluoride rinse to straighten the teeth.
Clear Aligners & lingual braces are the part of the orthodontic treatment wherein the braces are invisible with this treatment. The treatment for the aligners and lingual braces cost in Mumbai differs as per the treatment required and the types of braces selected.
Braces help in solving multiple oral problems of crooked teeth, a misaligned bite, narrow bites, teeth crowding, crossbite, gaps in between teeth, underbite, overbite. An orthodontist helps in advising to choose the best treatment according to oral care, teeth, and gums.